I make no secret of the fact that I would LOVE to escape to the country, in fact the ideal location would be in the middle of countryside, yet within walking distance of a remote beach, but in reality I’m not sure that location actually exists so, as with most things in life, I completely appreciate there needs to be a compromise somewhere along the line.
If you were to ‘escape to the country’ where would you go? Do you have an ideal house wish list?
My ‘escape to the country’ wish list looks a little something like this:
- A huge garden, at least big enough for two springer spaniels to let off a lot of steam; large enough for a decent chicken enclosure with enough space for them to safely free range; an area for growing our own fruit and vegetables, definitely a decent sized greenhouse and perhaps an orchard. Bonus points would go to a property with it’s own woodland area and a walled garden would be an absolute dream!! Of course it goes without saying that there also needs to be plenty of borders and flower beds and some roses, dahlias and scented plants such as lavender, rosemary and sweet peas. – plus a nice seating area.
- Next on my list would be a large family kitchen with a comfortable area so we could invite the whole family round for Sunday dinner and everyone would feel at ease and be able to relax. They say the heart of the home is the kitchen so it would be lovely to have a really special kitchen with space for everyone.
- I’d like a house that has a classy feel to it, with ‘country meets coastal’ styling. I’m aiming for this look in our current home but not quite there yet!
- Location and setting is pretty important to me too. It would be amazing to have views of hills and fields and to have the wonderful feeling of being surrounded completely by nature. Additionally we do love a trip to the coast, so to be within walking distance, or alternatively at least a short drive, would be perfection.
- Ok so if we’re going full on, let’s just put it out there – ladies who else would absolutely love to have their own dressing room – think Carrie from Sex and The City – what bliss that would be. I would far rather opt for an en-suite dressing room than an en-suite bathroom – they honestly hold no appeal for me whatsoever.
- Please don’t get me wrong, I appreciate we’re very fortunate to now live in a house that’s plenty big enough, in a village setting, with a decent sized garden and easy distance to open countryside but isn’t it nice to dream of the perfect house and setting!
Where would your perfect location be?