This is such an easy vegetarian dinner and a perfect meal for one – or for a couple or family. I’ve been testing out different meat alternatives and although some are quite tasty some try a bit too hard so don’t quite get it right. I’ll be sharing my findings in a later post.
- Pitta bread
- Selection of vegetables of your choice
- Examples – mushrooms, courgettes, sweet peppers, onions, aubergine, broccoli, kale, avocado
- Optional – meat free alternative protein source
- Grated cheese
- Salad leaves
- Stir fry or grill the protein source and vegetables if needed.
- Grill or warm the pitta bread.
- Spread houmous on the pitta bread, or use an alternative if you prefer, eg tomato purée.
- Top the pitta with your vegetables, add grated cheese if desired and pop until the grill for a couple of minutes
- Top with some fresh salad leaves to finish.
This is such an easy dinner or lunch and a perfect way of utilising any unused vegetables. It’s really tasty too and works out relatively inexpensive so if you’ve got a tight budget to stick too this could be ideal for you.
I used ‘What the Cluck’ by the Vegetarian Butcher as I really love the taste and texture when it’s cooked – it looks a bit grim before cooking but no worse than raw meat!! Trust me on this – it’s really nice fried! You could just have the vegetables if you prefer – you’ll stick get your protein from the vegetables and of course from the houmous.
If you like kebabs I think you’ll love this so why not give it a shot and see what you think.
I thought I’d share my TikTok video I made although I only decided to video half way through so you’ll have to use your imagination for the first half!!
That looks quick, easy and tasty as well as very healthy! Perfect. Thanks for the instructions Fiona, will give it a try.
LikeLiked by 1 person