This is such an easy vegetarian dinner and a perfect meal for one – or for a couple or family. I’ve been testing out different meat alternatives and although some are quite tasty some try a bit too hard so don’t quite get it right. I’ll be sharing my findings in a later post.
- Pitta bread
- Selection of vegetables of your choice
- Examples – mushrooms, courgettes, sweet peppers, onions, aubergine, broccoli, kale, avocado
- Optional – meat free alternative protein source
- Grated cheese
- Salad leaves
- Stir fry or grill the protein source and vegetables if needed.
- Grill or warm the pitta bread.
- Spread houmous on the pitta bread, or use an alternative if you prefer, eg tomato purée.
- Top the pitta with your vegetables, add grated cheese if desired and pop until the grill for a couple of minutes
- Top with some fresh salad leaves to finish.
This is such an easy dinner or lunch and a perfect way of utilising any unused vegetables. It’s really tasty too and works out relatively inexpensive so if you’ve got a tight budget to stick too this could be ideal for you.
I used ‘What the Cluck’ by the Vegetarian Butcher as I really love the taste and texture when it’s cooked – it looks a bit grim before cooking but no worse than raw meat!! Trust me on this – it’s really nice fried! You could just have the vegetables if you prefer – you’ll stick get your protein from the vegetables and of course from the houmous.
If you like kebabs I think you’ll love this so why not give it a shot and see what you think.
I thought I’d share my TikTok video I made although I only decided to video half way through so you’ll have to use your imagination for the first half!!